Sunday, July 8, 2007

It REALLY Goes To Eleven!

Ahhh yes, the inevitable progress report on my CD's completion.

Though not as gargantuan a project as, say, inventor Nikola Tesla's Wardenclyffe Tower (pictured at right), it still had its particular challenges but has proved to be avery worthwhile endeavor for me as it taught me a good deal about recording production and perserverance.

In any case, there are now TEN tracks complete and mixed down. First off, "Did They Even Sing?", a tense minor-key jazz inflected piece, with a voiceover at the end provided by my roomate's girlfriend, she did the most HILARIOUS and convincing "Valley Girl" voice I've heard in ages, the text (seen in this post, in red) just made it all the more hysterical, my poke in the eye at the American Idol mentality. Then there is "Don't Do The Mime If You Can't Do The Time", a fetching duet of classical guitar and organ also featuring gratuitous gong usage. And finally, "HowTo Sell Out And Eclipse The Spice Girls In Sales", born out of a drum improv by Jim Dunn that was recorded in my living room a couple years ago. ne Dave Condra paid me a visit one afternoon and laid down some bass parts off the cuff, then I shelved it until now, After much listening, a couple guitars and some keyboards (HEAVILY treated piano and Mellotron (choir) were added for a gloriously chaotic and psychedelic result. DEFINITELY NOT RADIO FRIENDLY but those with adventurous taste might find something to enjoy here.

Sooooooo, that leaves me with ONE track to complete, this being "My Royalties Paid for WHAT?????!!! This will be my sort of avant-metal turn the Marshall amps up to 11 blow down the doors sort of tune, Hopefully I can begin to get some of this on disc in the next week or so, it'll feature loud crunchy guitars and EVEN MORE gratuitous gong usage!





On The Player




A delightfully colorful, humorous and quirky yet oddly accessible slice of German psychedelic rock from 1972, some might describe it as the best Jefferson Airplane album that Jefferson Airplane NEVER made. Fun stuff!

No comments: