Monday, June 30, 2008

Uhhh, What Kind of Music Is That--?

June 29, 2008, armed with two five-string bass guitars (fretted and fretless), a digital camera and not much else, I met my friend and drummer Jeremy DeRamus for a recording session at Earthshaking Music in East Atlanta Village .

With the aid of our brilliant engineer Scott Trihn at the controls, Jeremy and I proceeded to explore the outer frontiers of improvised music, trying a number of different groves and styles, ranging from slow smoldering cop-show jazz/swing to edgy angular funk, psychedelic and even a spacey percussion improv from Jeremy utilizing a marimba, tablas, bongos, a 20" gong and more.

Ultimately, the aim of these guided improvisations is to sculpt music around them (in my case for a new CD to be released next year, for now entitled, The Complete Radio Free Antarctica Tapes), and for Jeremy he may even devise some visual accompaniments as well as musical ones. The idea was to have a solid foundation to sculpt actual music from (be it ever so obtuse and RAGINGLY "uncommercial") as opposed to senseless random flailing/thrashing.

All told, I was very happy with the 5 pieces that resulted, and of course with further editing, teaking and adding instruments on at my home studio, The Owl's Nest, I'm sure some very colorful and challenging (to say the least, I ain't getting any more commercial folks LOL) We weren't producing the next Brittany Spears atrocity or vying for hit singles. A HUGE thank you to both Jeremy and Scott for humoring my unorthodox methods and making these little sketches and vague thoughts come to life. 100% real, in the moment and NO Pro-Tools was employed at any time.

No comments: