Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fractured Flashbacks



(Fractured Flickers host Hans Conried and a young, upcoming Bob Newhart, circa 1963)

At various times in my life, I was momentarily puzzled by a remembrance from my childhood, and at times wondered if I was making it up, but did I or did I not see some kind of TV show where old silent movies were re-edited and given hilarious dialog, narration and sound effects COMPLETELY having nothing to do with what the flicks were originally about.?

Well, I'm happy to report that I WASN'T crazy or imagining things (although some probably wish I was). The TV show in question was one "Fractured Flickers", a weekly (I think) half-hour TV creation of one Jay Ward, the same man responsible for such hilarious, stylish and bitingly satirical cartoons like Rocky & Bullwinkle, Hoppity Hooper, George of The Jungle, Fractured Fairy Tales, Super-Chicken and more.

The basic premise was to take footage from old silent movies, newsreels and other sources, recombine them and write utterly bitingly hilarious dialog, narration and sound effects all in the service of comedy and satire. Presided over by Hans Conried, this show would feature several "Fractured Flickers" and a gratuitous interview with a celebrity of the time, running the spectrum from Fabian to Rod Serling. Hans was his usual charming and HILARIOUSLY sardonic self in the midst of all this mayhem (I bet Jay Ward and the writing staff must've had a blast writing and producing this stuff!). This pre-dated Woody Allen's "What's Up Tiger Lily" by about 4 years. The show ran for only one season in 1963 but within that span created a goldmine of chaotic comedy gems.

And what would Fractured Flickers be without it's stellar cast of voice talent? For starters, there was Paul Frees, conjuring up everything from maniacal monarchs to the waaaaayyyy over-serious baritone narrator (my favorite voice of his actually), June Foray covering all the female voices along with writer Bill Scott (best known for his voice for Bullwinkle). Even Hans Conried was known to add some voices now and then.

All told, this is sidesplitting stuff, and best enjoyed by watching one or two at a time.





No comments: