Monday, June 18, 2007

Why Owls?


A number of folks have asked me over the years why do I like Owls so much?


Well, here's the answer:


1) Much like these birds, I've always had a nocturnal streak, even when I was little, I gave my parents some amount of grief staying up late. Even to this day, I tend to do the same although it's not as easy to do as it was when I was a 20-something.


2) These birds have always been surrounded by an aura of mystery, somehting I've always loved, a quality that begs firther exploration and inquiry. They are also fierce hunters. At times I can be fierce and mysterious.


3) The SOUNDS these birds produce are a thing of haunting beauty to me, the confident booming hoots of a Great Horned Owl, the eerie whinnying/trills of an Eastern Screech Owl and the expressive hooting and yapping of a Barred Owl have intrigued me for ages.


For the curious, I'd highly recommend you visit this site: www.owlpages.com


And on the mp3 player:

The New Tony Williams Lifetime - Believe It
(remastered w/ 2 bonus tracks)

From 1975, a slice of incendiary yet melodic fusion featuring Tony's brilliant as ever drumming, and the mysterious, fluid uncliched legato guitar stylings of a then-unknown Brit upstart by the name of Allan Holdsworth. This album changed my life and reduced me to a driveling idiot at the same time.

No comments: